Data entry has been in the market for a very long time and will continue further. The job is to enter data into the computer systems and software. Every company requires a data entry worker who can store or save their data so that the data doesn’t get lost or misplaced. In ancient times when there had been no computers, people would use punched cards, would write data on paper, and file it. Cabinets had been necessary for every office where they could keep files and other important documents. The other important documents related to a bank statement, cash flow statements, were kept in the banks/lockers due to security reasons. There are so many companies that are offering just Data Entry Services and are very successful in making good money through it.
Qualification and skills required to be a data entry worker:
1) High-school certificate: Many companies require high school diploma holders but reputable companies ask for a bachelor’s degree because when someone educated is employed in a company, it creates a positive effect on the organization as well as on the employee. An educated employee is good at communication, has the dressing sense.
2) Proficient in MS Office: The candidate must be proficient in Microsoft Office software such as Word, Powerpoint, and especially ms excel because excel is mostly used for entering data. Using excel is not as simple as it seems to be because it has multiple functions and formulae so you got to be a pro in using excel. Powerpoint is used for making presentations but it’s not that complicated and word is used for writing documents or making notes etc.
3) Self-motivated: You have to keep yourself motivated all day long because the data entry work gets boring sometimes and you ask yourself what am I even doing all day just entering data into the computer? makes no sense so you got to be motivated and focus on your work.
4) Deadline-oriented: Submitting your work on the given deadline is a very tough thing. At times you will feel like procrastinating your work, this can get you in big trouble and you might get fired/terminated if you don’t complete your work on the given deadline, so you have to avoid it and be deadline-oriented.
5) Capability to work independently or as a team: This skill is mandatory for everyone and in every field. Every employer looks for candidates who can work independently or as a team because when you work independently, the workload and pressure are all on your shoulders so you have to cope with it. Now when you work as a team, the workload is divided but there is politics, competition among the team members, favoritism, jealousy, and pulling of legs so make sure you avoid all this and just focus on your work.
Salaries of Data entry workers:
According to some resources, the pay scale of data entry beginners is from $10 to $15 per hour but the rate may differ for an experienced and skillful candidate. If the employer is looking for a data entry worker who can provide customer service or administrative duties, so the salary is different for such candidates.
How to find Data entry jobs:
Smartphones have made this job easier. You don’t need to go out and drop your CVs in different companies, you just got to download job finding apps on your phone, create a profile, and there you go. Linkedin is one of the most used applications for job hunting so you can use it as well. Apart from LinkedIn, every country has a different job discovery app so you have to install an app that is for your particular country.
Industries that look for data entry workers:
1) Medical and health
3) Finance and Accounts
4) Sales and Marketing
5) Schools and Colleges
6) Airports and Railway stations
Data entry can be a good career option if you are serious about it. If you are good at your work you can be promoted to supervisory level and you can also learn few new skills such as data science, office technology, etc which can make your career more powerful and your profile will look more professional.