immigration lawyer legitimization

How To Get US Citizenship With H1B Visa?

A chance to reside in the US is definitely life-changing. Worry less and get a green card with your H1B Visa with the help of an Austin immigration lawyer.

One of the most common types of work visas in the US is the H1B. This allows an immigrant to stay in the country for a maximum of 6 years. It also certifies that the holder has completed education and training requirements and holds a position that is in high demand. Many H1B visa holders wish to continue working in the US after their six-year period has ended.

To start the process of changing from an H1B visa to a green card, know everything about the details with an Austin immigration lawyer, such as at Lincoln-Goldfinch Law. The firm has a team of skillful lawyers that will help you obtain permanent residency in the United States.

Start Your Green Card Journey

There are several factors that may influence your potential to become a US citizen through an H1B visa. These factors are your education, your work, your training, and even your nationality. However, the process can take a long time regardless of these aspects. 

It is a good idea to speak with legal counsel to aid you with the technicalities and steps in obtaining a green card. If you are in Austin TX, the immigration lawyers in Lincoln-Goldfinch law can be the key to your US dreams. Connect with them as soon as possible if you intend to or are considering settling permanently in the US.

An Austin Immigration Lawyer Can Help

A US green card enables foreign nationals to obtain permanent residency in the country either through family sponsorship or employment.

Moving abroad is challenging enough without having to deal with the complicated green card application process. The difference in culture, way of life, and even beliefs can prove challenging. Adjustment to these changes can take longer or shorter depending on how well you cope with them.

However, you don’t need to carry the burden alone when applying for a green card. Your legal counsel will definitely help you to get acquainted with the legalities in the process of becoming a permanent resident, or later on, a US citizen. First off, your immigration lawyer can evaluate if you are qualified for permanent residency. Next, they can coach you on what documents to prepare and the timetable that you need to follow.

Steps In Getting A US Citizenship With An H1B Visa

With an H1B visa, your US citizenship dream is pretty straightforward. But, as mentioned earlier, this process can be simplified by an experienced immigration lawyer. For one, these legal professionals are abreast with new laws. That is why if you are from Austin TX, the Lincoln-Goldfinch Law can help you with their experienced immigration lawyer. 

There are three (3) steps in the process. You need to apply for PERM Labor Certification, submit Form I-140, and lastly submit Form I-485. These documents are available on government websites, but be sure to consult an immigration attorney to accomplish these.

Securing A PERM Certification

The first step concerns your work. The Austin immigration lawyer will inform you that the first step needs the contribution of your employer. They need to submit an application for a Permanent Labor (PERM) certification. Your employer must determine the prevailing wage for your position and set your salary at that level in order for you to receive a PERM certification. 

They will also need to go through a hiring process to demonstrate that there are no US citizens who are qualified for the position. And finally, the completion of ETA 9809 goes along with it. This process can go from 6 to 18 months. 

Submission Of Form I-140

With the assistance of an immigration lawyer in Austin TX, you should submit form I-140, or an Immigration Petition for Alien Worker, as soon as your PERM certification has been approved. You will receive a notice stating a priority date for your petition as soon as USCIS receives it. The process will not move forward for you until your priority date is up to date.

Your priority date to become current can vary from almost no wait time to up to nine years.

Submission Of Form I-1485

After the completion of form 140, your immigration lawyer will lead you to the last step. The next step is to submit Form I-485 to USCIS for a status adjustment.

This is the last action. You will get a stamp in your passport indicating your change of status from an H1B to a green card holder once I-485 is approved. Your physical green card will arrive in the mail a short while later.

It can take a long time to transition from an H1B visa to a green card. This might overlap with the expiration of your visa. Do not wait for your H1B visa for you to begin securing your green card. Start consulting with Lincoln-Goldfinch Immigration services now, so you are aware of the processes and needs in getting that US citizenship. 

By Anurag Rathod

Anurag Rathod is an Editor of, who is passionate for app-based startup solutions and on-demand business ideas. He believes in spreading tech trends. He is an avid reader and loves thinking out of the box to promote new technologies.