Joseph Pilate from Germany was the father of new form of exercises called Pilates. The form of this physical activity was named after him. His method includes equipment that is termed as “apparatus”. During the World War I, he got the chance to work as a nurse in the hospital. The main motive of his life was to develop a new form of exercise that can tone and strengthen the body muscles. There, in hospital, he got the opportunity to heal the injuries of the patients through this exercise and toning the muscles who were still bedridden.
Pilates-Preparation For First Class
Pilates have a great impact on the whole body. Pilates have many benefits which include:
- It eases the pain during menstrual cramps.
- It strengthen spine and reduces back pain.
- It keeps the body fit and energetic.
- It has a positive impact on the mental health as well.
- It helps in correcting postural disorders.
- It relaxes the muscle and helps in recovering from injury.
- It works great in boosting core abdominal muscles.
- It tones up the whole body and keeps you in perfect shape.
Preparing for first class for Pilates:
Joining the Pilate studio for the first time might be awkward because when you enter the studio, you will be able to see different Pilate reformers which may seem to be tough. But you don’t have to worry because the instructor will gradually make you familiar with these apparatus and therefore, it will become easy for you to achieve your fitness goal.
Things you need to bring in the Pilates class:
Pilate mats: It is not mandatory to bring Pilate mat in the class. If you don’t want to do exercise on the used mat then you can bring your own mat. As compared to yoga mats, Pilate mats are thicker and well cushioned.
Water bottle: It is necessary to bring your water bottle in any fitness centre or studio. You have to be assured that you stay well hydrated before any workout or Pilate’s exercises.
Attire to be worn during Pilate class:
- You should avoid wearing top having tie knots, belts or tassels at the back because that might be uncomfortable when you are lying on your back.
- Choose only those attires that do not have buckles, clasps, zippers or buttons because these can damage Pilate apparatus.
- Avoid using make-up because that can cause stains on the Pilate equipment.
- Avoid using scented products as many people are allergic to perfumes and deodorants.
- Avoid wearing ornaments like long necklaces, belts or bracelets that can tangle with the equipment and you can hurt yourself.
- Soft and body fitting costumes are ideal for Pilates so that the instructor can see your body posture while doing exercise and can guide you accordingly.
- Make sure that if you have long hair you must tie it properly so that workout can be carried out without any disturbance.
- There is no need of footwear because Pilates are done bare footed.
Things to be kept in mind while attending Pilate classes:
- Always try to arrive on time as the Pilates are usually carried out in groups and pay respect to the instructor and other students.
- Do warm up before starting your workout as it prevents injuries.
- Inform the instructor about your injuries, surgery, and pain in neck or back before starting any exercise.
- If you are not feeling well while trying a exercise then inform your instructor beforehand.
- After completing reformer Pilate try to keep the apparatus in its proper places.
It is very essential to attend Pilate class because it is good for your both physical and mental health. Taking out time for Pilates from your busy schedule helps your body to regain strength and makes you feel energetic throughout the day.