Majority of us today have accounts on both the two-most popular email services in the world i.e., Gmail and MS Outlook platform, right! So, instead of operating and managing both separately, why don’t you just configure Gmail in MS Outlook to avoid Gmail issues? However, if wondering how then, let’s tell you that Gmail like other emails can be configured in email clients and MS Outlook also being an email client, allow Gmail (in fact other email services also) to be configured on the platform.
But, the process of configuring Gmail in MS Outlook, is not at all easy. Thus, to help you with the same, we’ve come out with this blog that contains the step-by-step process of how you can set up your Gmail account in MS Outlook. So, in order to do so, you have to fulfill this prerequisite:
Enable IMAP/POP Protocol!
Until and unless the IMAP/POP protocol of your Gmail account’s settings has been disabled, you won’t be able to configure and access your Gmail account in MS Outlook. Thus, in case of ‘IMAP/POP Protocol’ disabled, enable it using the following steps—
- Launch your web browser on your respective device.
- ● In its search bar, or URL address bar paste this link ‘https://mail.google.com’ and hit the ‘Enter’ button.
- Doing so, you’ll be navigated to the ‘Gmail Sign-in Page.’
- From there, sign-in to your Gmail account by entering the login credentials of the same.
- Now, once you access your Gmail account, click on its ‘Gear-like Icon’ from the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- After that, select the ‘Settings’ option from the available pop-up options.
- From it, select the ‘Forwarding and IMAP/POP’ tab and inside it, further click on the ‘IMAP Access’ section.
- In the end, select the ‘Enable IMAP’ option from there and click on the ‘Save Changes’ button.
[Note: Similarly, you can enable POP also by just selecting ‘Enable POP’ instead of ‘Enable IMAP.’]
Now, after meeting the prerequisite for setting up Gmail on MS Outlook, let’s move forward to finally look at the step-by-step procedure of the same:
Steps for Setting up Gmail in Outlook 2016!
- Step 1: First and Foremost, you have to open your MS Outlook application on your respective device.
- Step 2: Once you open the program, click on its ‘File Tab’ from the top-left corner of the screen. This will open the ‘File Group of MS Outlook.’
- Step 3: From it, click on the option of ‘Account Settings’ and doing so will open a small ‘Email Tab’ in front of you.
- Step 4: Inside the same, click on the ‘New’ button that further launches the ‘Add New Email Account’ wizard.
- Step 5: There, check-mark the option of ‘Manual Setup or Additional Server Types.’ Along with that, hit the ‘Next’ button to reach on to the next ‘Choose Service Page.’
- Step 6: Once there, select the option of ‘Internet Email’ and then, again hit the ‘Next’ button to move further.
- Step 7: Now, enter your Gmail account’s user data like ‘Name and Email Address’ inside the ‘User Information Tab.’
- Step 8: Next, under the ‘Server Information Tab,’ you have to click on the option of ‘Type of Account’ to simply select either ‘IMAP’ or ‘POP3.’
- Step 9: After selecting the same (based on your preference), enter the following ‘Gmail IMAP Settings’ inside the ‘Incoming Mail Server’ information of Gmail for Outlook—
- If you’ve selected ‘IMAP,’ input ‘imap.gmail.com.’
- If you’ve selected ‘POP,’ input the ‘pop.gmail.com.’
- Step 10: Similarly, for ‘Gmail POP Settings’ enter the information of Gmail for Outlook inside the ‘Outgoing Mail Server’ —
- If you’ve selected ‘IMAP,’ input ‘smtp.gmail.com’
- If you’ve selected ‘POP,’ input the ‘smtp.gmail.com.’
- Step 11: Moving on further, click on the ‘Logon Information Tab’ and enter the login details of your Gmail account i.e., ‘Username, Email ID and Password.’
Step 12: To enter further configuration settings, click on the ‘More Settings’ option from the lower-right hand corner of the screen.
- Step 13: This will open the ‘Internet E-mail Settings Tab’ and from there, first select the ‘Outgoing Server tab’ to select ‘My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication’ as well as ‘Use the same settings as my incoming mail server’ options.
- Step 14: Secondly, navigate to its ‘Advanced’ section for enter the following additional Gmail Outlook settings under the ‘Server Port Numbers’—
- If selected IMAP-
- Incoming Server Port: 993
- Outgoing Server Port (SMTP): 587 or 25
- Type of encrypted connection: SSL
- If selected POP-
- Incoming Server Port: 995
- Outgoing Server Port (SMTP): 587 or 25
- Type of encrypted connection: TLS
- Step 15: Now, click on the ‘Test Account Settings’ option to perform a test of your e-mail settings for ensuring that you’ve properly configured Gmail in MS Outlook.
- Step 16: In the end, click on the ‘Close’ button to finish the configuration process after receiving ‘Congratulations! All tests completed successfully’ message.
That’s it! This is all about the step-by-step process of how you can configure your Gmail account in MS Outlook email client. However, for further assistance, you can consider visiting the technical ‘Onlinegeeks.net’ website.