In the earlier days, Google did not care much about podcasting. But, its competitors deed. Thus, now, Google has designed Google Podcasts for both iOS and Android. It gives podcasters in-depth insights into the behavior of the listeners.
Most people make use of mobile devices currently. If your podcasts are not in Google Podcasts, you are keeping millions of listeners away from them. Listing your podcasts on Google Podcasts allow you to get better exposure.
Google Podcasts are the android devices’ official application. Over here, the users can look for trending and free podcasts. The users can play their favorite shows’ latest episodes. Also, they can manage their listening activity and explore recommendations. The application also lets the users take breaks by saving their spot in a podcast episode.
Google Podcasts serve the purpose of a podcasting directory. The podcast listening apps and services use Google Podcasts to discover podcasts. Also, they enable playback through Google Podcasts. The Google Podcasts is not a storage for audio files and RSS feed. Rather, it points to the audio files and RSS feed that you posted somewhere else.
Google Podcast powers the playback and discovery of podcasts on several Google services. It includes both iOS and Android. On any of the podcast playback app, the listeners may subscribe to any of their favorite podcasts. Thus, it is important to make sure that the Google Crawlers are able to read your RSS feed.
Indeed, it is important to make your podcast accessible to a massive number of listeners. But additionally, you need to submit your show to Google Podcasts. It provides you an opportunity for exposure across several other famous Google products. It means when your podcast is “On Google,” the listeners can find and play your podcast on Google’s services.
The hearers can look into and play podcasts on several services and apps. They are as follows:
- The listeners can look into the Google Podcasts site.
- The mobile device listeners can install the Google Podcasts app.
- The podcast listeners in the car may use Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- The Google Assistant users can look into the Content Action.
- The users can also use Google Home to access podcasts.
- The listeners who like to listen to podcasts in some languages can opt for Discover.
- There is the availability of Google Assistant incorporated smart displays and speakers.
- The listeners can look for podcasts in their android device’s Google Search App.
- On all desktops, browsers, and mobile, Google Search is available. The listeners can play podcasts within the browser.
Few extra podcast services are there on Google that have many requirements. The podcasters out there can make their audio content appear on the down below services:
- Your News Update: It is an on-demand news playlist. It is customized according to every listener. But it is not available in every area.
- Google news briefing: It consists of playlists that are already arranged. It is based on a general provider or topic. And it is available in many areas.
- Some of the guidelines that a podcast must follow to appear in the Google Podcasts are as follows:
- Google must be able to access your RSS feed. Tags, login requirements, or any other factor cannot block your RSS feed. Thus, you cannot prevent Google from reading it anyway. Thus, custom feeds are ineligible for Google Podcasts.
- There must be at least one podcast episode in your feed.
- For your podcast episodes, make use of the supported audio format. Make sure that the episodes are available for Google. There is no support for video files on Google Podcasts.
- The podcasters must prove their podcasts with an image.
- For Google Podcasts, the podcasters need to follow the RSS guidelines. You may opt for podcast hosting or podcast editing services to let them take care of things better. The necessities are as follows:
- Podcast description
- Podcast image
- Link to a homepage for the podcast
- Owner email
- The podcasters should not mic HTTPS and HTTP URLs for their resources. If you think that your content is over the mixed protocols, take action immediately. Your listeners might be having bad experiences in Chrome browsers and also on other playback devices. Bitter experience means blocked playback and popup warnings. Thus, serve your podcast homepage, RSS feed, and other audio files from HTTPS addresses.
It is easy to submit your Podcast in Google Play Music. The steps are as follows:
- Go to the “Google Play Podcast Portal.” Use a Google account to sign in.
- Tap on the button named “Add A Podcast” at the top right.
- Then, input the RSS feed URL of your Podcast. Copy your feed and paste it.
- After pasting your RSS feed URL, tap on “Submit RSS Feed.”
- Now, you will have to verify your podcast’s ownership. Google will send the verification in your email tag. Make sure it is accessible and is up-to-date. For verifying your podcast’s ownership, check your email. Copy the code that Google has sent you. Finally, paste in it.
- After verifying, you will be ready to review and publish your content finally. If any necessary information is missing, an error will pop up. Follow the instructions on the screen, and act according to them. You may also receive recommendations and warnings for improving your feed.
- Tap on the “Publish Podcast” if everything looks perfect.
- Now, you will have to wait for someone who will review your podcast before it goes live. It will take few days, but it may vary.
Everything boils down to the process you follow. Whether you are using podcast hosting services or you are managing your RSS files. Both the processes are almost the same. The services you opt for will automate few steps for you, like updating or creating RSS files. Take advantage of the full potential of Google Podcasts to avoid missing exposures.