Google Drive is the safest place where you can keep your files. The biggest advantage of storing files in Google Drive is that we can access files from anywhere. But, Google Drive often fails to recognize duplicate files and ends up storing them again and again which not only eats up storage space but also makes it difficult for users to identify the duplicate files.
However, in this article we are going to different steps to find duplicate files in Google Drive.
If you are finding it hard to segregate original files from the duplicate files you can either use the manual process of finding duplicate files or else you can also use best duplicate file finder tools to find duplicate files in Google Drive like Duplicate Sweeper, Easy Duplicate Finder and Cloud Duplicate Finder.
Before we get into the methods of using these applications on your computer let us first tell you why it is necessary to find duplicate files in Google Drive and remove them.
Google Drives generally comes with a storage space that can be used for free. But if you require more space than the space allotted you might have to pay extra charges. Keeping duplicate files and folders in the drive might use up the additional storage space which can otherwise be used for other important files. As a result you might end up paying more than expected. Identifying and removing the duplicate files from Google drive might help you save space on your drive and also money.
Most importantly, if you have too many duplicate files on your drive it might take up the space on your hard disk which in turn also affects the computer speed. Now, that we are aware of why it is necessary to find duplicate files in Google Drive, let us tell you how you can easily remove files from your drive.
Steps to find files in Google Drive
How to find files in Google Drive Manually
If you are planning to find files in Google Drive manually here are a few steps that you need to follow.
- Once you open your Google Drive account you will find view list on the upper right-hand corner. You need to click on list view.
- In order to find duplicate files, you need to long press the control key.
- Once you’ve found the files you wish to remove right click on the files and click on remove.
How to find files in Google Drive Using Duplicate Sweeper
- After installing Google Drive in your system you need to open Duplicate Sweeper and add folder.
- You can either select the Google Drive folder or pick and choose any particular folder inside the Google drive.
- Once you have selected the files and folders just click on start duplicate search.
- The app helps you find the duplicate files and in seconds brings them in front of you.
- All, you need to do once the files have been identified is review the files and remove them.
- Click on recycle selected duplicates and then confirm.
How to find files in Google Drive Using Easy Duplicate Finder
The best thing about Easy duplicate Finder is that you can use this application on both windows and MAC.
- You need to download the application
- You will find the option of Google Drive under Scan Mode. You need to select that.
- Then you need to log into your Google Drive account and provide access to the application to scan the drive.
- Once the access is granted the application will automatically scan your drive for duplicate files.
- In a couple of minutes, you will see the list of duplicate files in front of you. You need to simply review the files and then delete them.
How to find files in Google Drive Using Duplicate File Finder
If you are using a MAC computer you might have heard of the app duplicate file finder. This is specially designed for Mac OS. If you are using this app for the first time the below mentioned steps will help you.
- Open the app and click on add in order to add Google Drive to the app.
- Once the drive is added you need to click on scan to find duplicate files in Google Drive.
- The app will show the duplicate files in the form of a Pi-Chart.
- In order to see the detailed report, you can tap on the duplicate files option on the menu bar.
- Once you’ve identified the files just click on duplicate copies and then click on review and remove.
How to find files in Google Drive Using Cloud Duplicate Finder
You’d be glad to know that you can use the cloud duplicate finder on both mobiles and laptops. If you have just installed the app follow the steps mentioned below to find duplicate files easily.
- First and foremost, you need to create your account on the official website of cloud duplicate finder.com
- You will find Google Drive in the panel on the left-hand side. You need to click on add new drive.
- Once you tap on add new drive you will be redirected to the login page of your Google Drive.
- Sign into your account and allow access.
- Select the Google drive folder and click on scan.
- Identify the files you wish to delete from the report generated, then click select action and choose permanent delete.
Therefore, we can say that if you wish to remove duplicate files from your computer all you need to do is download any of these applications mentioned above or do it manually on your computer. Make sure you check for duplicate files often to make sure your computer runs fast and there is adequate space on your Google Drive.