Business professionals carry out a background check on prospective employees during the recruiting process. Things are not any different in Australia. While a few firms are satisfied with references provided, many businesses in the country go as far as a criminal record check or a police check. This approach has been hugely successful, and we will explore some of the reasons for an employee background check.
What is a Background Check?
A background check is essentially a detailed review of a person or firm’s records. These records may be financial, commercial, or even criminal, and it covers all parts of the employee’s repertoire. Thus, one’s education, credit history, employment, legitimacy of certificates, and license records are often looked into. Background checks may be carried out on a state level like a Police Check QLD or a federal level like a national police clearance.
Reasons businesses carry out a police checks
The ultimate aim of any recruitment process is to make a sound hiring decision because it has both short and long-term implications. Common reasons for a police check include:
- Detection of any criminal history of the prospect. Depending on if the charges (if any) are minor or not, one can determine whether that applicant is suitable for the job. Failure to do this might leave you with a breach in compliance or leave you facing some challenges when the person is eventually hired.
- To spot a potential liability: An employee with poor ethics or incompetent skills would be a liability to any firm, and a background check will detect this early enough and save your company from incurring liabilities due to negligence. Besides, you would be saving yourself much time, energy, and resources in the long run.
- To ensure workplace safety: Applicants such as past sex offenders and violent individuals might jeopardize the safety of your staff and clients alike. In the end, the hiring manager would be held accountable for recruiting such a person in the first place.
- Verification: Anyone can just put up something in a resumé. However, a criminal record check is one way to confirm the authenticity of license or documents. An employee might be hiding something from, but a proper check will expose any bare areas.
- Peace of mind: You do not want to complete an interview being unsure if you would hire a candidate. You are more likely to make the best hiring decision when you conduct a police check, and it gives you more confidence.
Many workplace-related crimes could have been prevented by a simple criminal record check. Despite the stress that might come with a comprehensive screening process, you are far more likely to hire the best candidate with a criminal record check. For certain firms, a police check is mandatory, especially if vulnerable people in the workplace are involved.
Do not be in a hurry to hire a prospect, carry out due diligence, and you would be glad you did. A well reputed firm like Australian National Character Check will assist you through every step of the way with a thorough background check on your prospects.
More so, the entire police check is straightforward. Ultimately, you would be able to eliminate risky hires and enjoy the benefits of employing someone perfect for a position.