Industrial furnace overview
Heat treatment of metals is the key action of an industrial furnace for annealing, tempering, or carburizing, as well as to pre-process materials for forging. It is equipment that produces heat in a regulated manner by combusting a fuel source. Though metal is the most commonly used material in an industrial furnace, other materials such as glass and various types of ceramics are also heated in the process to prepare them for shaping. Industrial furnaces, regardless of the material, employ a variety of fuels and forms to superheat it to extreme temperatures.
Industrial furnace are utilized in commercial and industrial settings to treat materials. They come in a range of layouts and patterns. Some are small and portable, having storage and doors that swing open. They are used to test items or materials in laboratories. Muffle furnaces are used in R&D laboratories to evaluate novel goods, while dentistry labs utilize them to do zirconia binder burnout.
Conveyor systems are used in big metallurgical facilities to control vast amounts of material in furnaces. They’re fully automated and can be heated by direct or induction heat. Its most prevalent function is the metallurgy extraction process, often known as smelting.
According to the melting point of the material or the intended product outcomes, industrial furnaces have variable processing temperatures or the temperature at which the furnace will function most efficiently and safely.
They can have a variety of chambers, including loading/unloading, heat zones, and cooling zones. For demanding applications, heat zones can achieve temperatures of up to 3000° F. To lower the temperature of the material, the cooling chamber uses either cold water or air. A cold water bath may be present in some cooling chambers.
Applications for Industrial Furnace
It claims that the only firms that use industrial furnaces are those that undertake metal moulding and shaping, but in truth, an industrial furnace is virtually always employed whenever heated materials are needed. Most modern technology necessitates the plasticization or deformation of items and parts to reshape them for specific uses.
- Industrial furnaces, whether fossil or electrically powered, are the source of heat for the heating process. Industrial furnaces have shown to be a safe technique of reshaping and pre-treating a broad variety of items, despite differences in raw materials, fuel, and heat generation.
- To manufacture chemicals or perform thermal treatments, chemical processors use heat from an industrial furnace. Also, power companies use them to heat water to drive steam turbines in thermal power plants or to incinerate landfill waste.
- Also, they aid in the extraction of raw metals from crushed ores in the mining sector. Industrial furnaces have long been utilized by ferrous and nonferrous metal industries that require high-volume smelting and casting processes.
Types Of Industrial Furnace And Their Applications
The following is a list of some of the industrial furnace types and their applications that have shown significant demand growth in the last year.
- Ashing furnaces are used to calculate the quantity of ash produced when a sample is burnt. Aside from that, the Ashing furnace detects the pollutants in the sample, which are sometimes present only when ash is created. Before chemical analysis, ashing is performed as a preconcentration technique to determine any trace compounds. The ashing furnace is used in the petroleum, oil, and coal sectors.
- Calcination Furnace is frequently used to prepare raw materials for further processing or to recover the basic material once other processes are done.
Calcination is a heat treatment procedure that involves heating samples such as minerals or ceramic powders below their melting point to cause a phase change, thermal breakdown, or to remove a volatile portion.
- Tempering Furnace is frequently employed after iron-based alloys have been hardened or quenched. It can result in excess hardness, stress, and brittleness.
Tempering is the process of heating steel to a specific temperature and then cooling it quickly to room temperature.
- Annealing Furnace: Annealing is a heat process treatment. It is used to soften a sample to enhance cold functioning, mechanical configuration, and electrical characteristics. Annealing furnaces heat the material and hold it at a constant temperature before cooling it at a controlled rate.
- Sintering Furnace: It is employed in the sintering process, which entails heating powder compacts to improve mechanical strength, density, and translucency.
The sintering process involves compressing and moulding a solid mass of material using weight or heat without liquefying it completely.
- Tensile testing furnace: These furnaces operate by submitting the sample to controlled tension until total failure. This is a popular quality control test procedure.
This furnace is used to determine a material’s ultimate tensile strength, yield strength, strain-hardening, and a variety of other parameters.
- Rotary tube furnace: Rotary tube furnaces are round furnaces that spin during heat treatment. They are frequently used for continuous materials processing due to their ability to provide heat to different thermal control zones.
These furnaces are adaptable and are used to make a variety of products such as bond clinker and alumina, as well as for oxidation.
- Bell Furnace: Bell Furnace is a heat treatment furnace where the products are heated under a variable arena. The use of the bell furnace is for performing heat treatments, although these additional uses are in low-temperature sintering processes or for drying. In addition, the bell furnace is also used for various industrial applications such as in chemical factories, as well as to provide heat for chemical reactions.
Industrial furnaces have become a necessity for a wide range of industrial processes, from the manufacture of plastics to the deformation of heavy metals. Maharith Thermal Pvt. Ltd. is one of India’s top industrial furnace and Industrial Oven manufacturers, are always working to enhance its operations to overcome their limitations. If you have any queries, please contact us and a qualified representative will assist you with anything you want.