Digital Marketing has gained strong momentum over the last 20 years approximately though its history goes back longer than that.
Talking about its history, the first time digital marketing had its wings spread was in the year 1896 where Guglielimo Marconi the inventor of the radio used it to display the transfer of wireless signals which in turn led to people realizing that this medium could be utilized in the best way for getting more audience and advertising.
This is not only the only example of digital marketing. There are several other examples from the past which showcase the display of digital marketing and its popularity on a whole.
The question thus worth a million dollars is what is digital marketing. Well, before going on to explain its meaning, it is also essential to understand that it is a huge concept and not an idea that can be spoken about or discussed about in just a few lines.
However, if the meaning of the same has to be explained in the layman manner, it is a form of advertising mostly performed through the website, the social media or through emails so as to make the customers aware about their products and services as well as the benefits they would receive upon buying the product along with why their business should be the one they should depend on while marketing their product.
As per a research conducted by Salesforce, it was concluded that by 2021 around 75% of the total budget made by marketing on a whole would be going to digital marketing.
Digital Marketing is broadly classified into the following types namely,
- Search Engine Optimization
- Content Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Email Marketing
Here’s explaining these concepts to you in a more concise manner.
Search Engine Optimization
In a layman term, search engine optimization refers to the optimization of the content, its technical set up and the reach of website through the medium of keywords so as to get one’s page on top of the search engines when searched by a customer.
Content is what drives a business towards its success or its doom and it is good and educative content alone that can attract a customer towards its products and services. Thus in a nutshell, content marketing is what helps a business get attention on social media.
Social Media Marketing
Social Media is a powerful channel in today’s day and age. This powerful medium not only helps friends and families remain connected with each other but also enables and empowers businesses to build a brand for themselves. How, you may ask. Well, through different social media channels, businesses can help customers get educated about their product and the uniqueness of the same. This is mostly done through engaging content so that the business can successfully build a brand for their business.
This is a popular concept where businesses send emails to customers both new and old to educate them about new offers and discounts on their products as well as attract them towards their business.
So you can understand thus digital marketing is not a small term. It is a broad and huge concept which in turn makes it necessary for businesses to incorporate the same so as to build a successful brand for themselves.
Given below are some other reasons which make it necessary for businesses to incorporate digital marketing in their tasks,
- It helps and assists businesses in bringing new customers as well as create new content so as to be unique than their competitors
- It helps businesses in getting more leads in comparison to the other marketing mediums through its different kinds like social media marketing, email marketing, content marketing etc, to name a few
- It helps the business bring more customers, leads and sales through its different channels like content marketing, social media marketing, etc.
- It helps businesses earn the trust of the customers through the medium of testimonials, videos etc that get posted by the earlier purchasers
- It ensures the survival of a business. Everytime new keywords get added by a particular business and relevant content gets added with the keywords added in the appropriate manner it helps the business get on top of the search engine in a more apt manner thus ensuring its survival.
Thus it goes without saying that if a business wants to survive in this competitive rat race, it is important that they implement and incorporate digital marketing at the earliest so that they can thereby build a successful business empire for themselves and a brand as well at the same time along with bringing and attracting new and old customers.