Acne or ‘acne vulgaris’ is one of the common skin conditions found amongst people of all age-groups. It is nothing but a skin eruption caused due to the clogging of pores which leads to the appearance of irregular bumps, reddish pimples, blackheads and persistent whiteheads. Some of these may be painful and you may need to consult a dermatologist for the same.
Kinds of Acne
The main categories of acne can be categorized as follows:
- Pityrosporum folliculitis or ‘fungal acne’: Due to an excessive build up of yeast within your hair follicles, you can feel an itchy sensation or a bit of inflammation, this condition is commonly termed as fungal acne.
- Cystic Acne: Small bumps which appear on your skin and are usually pus-filled and are found in deep nodular form are known as cystic acne.
- Hormonal Acne: It is basically seen in adults facing an excessive production of sebum that leads to the clogging of the skin pores.
- Nodular Acne: It is one of the worst forms of acne and is seen in the form of nodular lumps on your facial skin.
The above-mentioned acne forms undoubtedly affect your daily self-esteem. According to expert opinion, cystic as well as nodular acne are responsible to a perpetual skin mutilation. Thus, before your situation worsen, you can should consult your skin specialist and get instant help.
Acne – Visibility amongst the masses…!!
Each one of us undergoes the problem of acne at some point of our lifetime. Youth are the most common victim of various kinds of acne, especially the teenagers who are confronting hormonal changes. And genetics plays an important part as well. Those showcasing a parental history of acne are at a greater risk of developing acne.
You can develop acne on your face, shoulders, the upper back-portion and chest regions as well. Acne appears on regions wherever sebum generating glands exist on our body.
Acne – Causes
Acne result from blocked hair follicles. Various skin glands open up into your hair follicles and when a lot of debris collects therein, a clog is formed.
The oily secretions within your skin is categorized as sebum and an excessive sebum formation may lead to acne build up.
A small quantity of bacteria are found on your skin commonly, but when their amount exceeds, acne appear automatically.
Dead Skin debris
Skin aging is a normal process occurring in our body. Sometimes, when dead skin cells get trapped within your hair follicles, it can lead to acne formation.
If you are continuously tight-fitted clothes as well as headgear such as hats or sports accessories, you can be a victim of acne. Environmental stressors, food allergies, changes in temperature and humidity, too much exposure to the sun, digestive problems, less intake of water, excessive stress and anxiety in your daily routine, side effects of certain medications, air pollution, excessive usage of heavy textured creams or lotions, daily contact with greasy substances are the main triggers of acne. Skimmed milk, a high amount of sugar in your daily diet and whey protein can be an initiator of acne.
Thus, for preventing acne, you must eat a balanced diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits having an adequate percentage of beta-carotene and use vitamin c face wash for acne which helps to reduce skin inflammation.
Hormonal changes and Acne
The androgen hormones are responsible for acne. They are active mostly during teenage and amongst youngsters. Women experience acne during their menstruation period as well due to hormonal transformations. Some people exhibit a kind of sensitivity towards the androgen hormones, the allergens released thereafter react with the epidermal bacteria and lead to acne.
- The oral usage of antibiotics of as tetracycline and doxycycline can treat acne caused due to bacteria. They have been fruitful in treating mild to worst forms of acne.
- People often tend to go hormonal therapy especially women as they experience mild to excessive acne breakouts during their menses. They are thus prescribed medicines containing a reduced level of estrogen or progesterone.
- Sometimes, your doctor may give you steroids for treating nodular forms of acne and reducing the amount of inflammation.
- Light therapies as well as lasers are the latest trends for treating acne. During this process, heat acts on the mutilated collagen tissue found in your skin. Your immunity level may affect the healing process when using the laser therapy.
- Some dermatologists also commend using chemicals skin peels for removing the dead layer of your outer epidermis. Once the top layer of your skin is exfoliated, the acne lessens automatically. But this method should not be practiced on a regular basis.
Tips for Treating acne at your household
- You should wash your skin at least once a day on a daily basis with lukewarm water using acne control facial serum. Cleansers are actually non-prescriptive cosmetic products which help in cleaning your skin thoroughly.
- Make it a point to wash your skin after a vigorous exercise or sweating.
- Skin care essentials containing alcohol and harsh exfoliants or astringents should be avoided to the maximum possible extent. They may lead to skin irritation and cause skin allergies as well.
- Always remember to remove your daily make-up before going to bed.
- One should use a moisturizer which contains a lesser percentage of oil after skin cleansing.
- Do not squeeze or scratch your acne as it may lead to the formation of scars once your acne heals.
Acne Healing Time Period
- On a normal basis, it takes around 6-12 days for your acne to heal automatically.
- If you are consulting a dermatologist for treating your acne and adopting a healthy skin care regime, your acne may wither off in a week or so.
- The healing process entirely depends on the immune response of your body.
- Worst conditions of acne may take several weeks to heal.
Acne – Scars & Mental Health
Acne can lead to scarring only when they infiltrate the deeper layers of your epidermis. The acne pores may swell and the outer pore-layers start breaking down and lead to skin damage. It has been found that scarring causes a bit of anxiety. Your skin care expert may ask you a few questions to know the root cause of acne and the kind of acne you possess.
It is true that people lose their self-confidence due to frequent acne breakouts. People avoid social interactions and facing the public when they face severe acne breakouts.