Some users said that when they connect their SD card to the computer, an error message pops out automatically: the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer. The following picture is the error window:
When seeing the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer SD card message, users will be unable to open the storage drive normally. And actually, this issue can also happen to external hard drives, USB flash drives, memory cards, and more.
Here comes the question: How to get rid of the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer WD/Seagate/SD card issue quickly? In this post, we will show users 2 solutions which are proved to be effective:
- Perform First Aid to check the drive for errors
- Rescue data and erase the drive to normal
In the following contents, we will show users the detail steps to solve the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer issue by using these two ways. Users can try them one by one to help them out.
Method 1: Perform First Aid to Check the Drive for Errors
Like CHKDSK on Windows computer, Mac PC also has a useful tool which can be used to check the drive and fix some errors. This tool is called First Aid.
Here, suppose that this issue happens to an SD card. How to use this tool to solve the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer SD card? Users need to follow these steps:
- Go to Applications, choose Utilities, and then choose Disk Utility.
- Right-click on the corrupted SD card and then select the Run First Aid option from the popup menu.
- When seeing the following interface, users need to press the Run button to start the checking and fixing process.
- When the process ends, users can check whether they can use the SD card as usual.
Sometimes, this First Aid can’t run successfully or the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer SD card issue still persists. In this situation, users will have no choice but to erase the drive to its normal state.
Method 2: Rescue Data and Erase the Drive to Normal
Move 1: Rescue Data on the Drive
First, we have to point out that erasing a drive will delete all data on it, so we strongly suggest rescuing data on the drive first and then erasing it. Here, take the SD card as an example.
To retrieve data from an inaccessible SD card on Mac, users should ask a dedicated and free Mac data recovery software for help. They can choose MiniTool Mac Data Recovery which is specially used to Mac PC to rescue files including deleted and existing ones.
Now, get the DEMO Edition to have a try.
- Connect the SD card to Mac and open the software. Then choose Damaged Partition Recovery to continue.
- The SD card will be shown on the software. Select it and click the Full Scan button to generate the scan process.
- When this software finishes scanning, users can see the scan results including existing and deleted items. Then, users can open each path to find their needed files. Besides, they can rely on Type and Find features of this software to find the target ones quickly.
- Since it is just a DEMO edition, users need to update it to an advance edition if they want to recover their data with this program.
They can enter the MiniTool official site and choose a suitable edition according to their actual situation. After registering the software, users will be able to save their needed data successfully.
Move 2: Erase the Drive to Normal
After the needed files are rescued, users can feel free to erase the SD card to its normal state. Follow this guide to do the job:
- Go to Applications, then Utilities, and choose Disk Utility.
- Select the target SD card and then choose the Erase button from the top side of the interface.
- There will be a small popup window on which users can set a name and a suitable format for the SD card. After that, press Erase to continue.
- Press Done.
After completing all these operations, the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer error should disappear and users can use it as a new one.