There are over 4.39 billion internet and 5.1 billion mobile users in the world. Digital communication has been growing faster than ever before. With these stats, it’s clear that most of the business communication is happening over the internet either via emails, chat or video conferences.
About 8-10 years ago, a phone user used to receive 8-15 telemarketing calls every day. The calls were either related to insurance, car loans, credit cards, internet connections, dish tv, phone services, etc. In 2019 the number of calls has dropped around 70%. Having said that, most people will think that the number of calls has gone down. But in the abstract, they didn’t. Now, most Americans get feedback calls, reminder calls, and callbacks to the services and products they have shown interest in or subscribed to.
The call centers are still intact. However, most of them are inbound call centers. Their job is to provide technical support and answer any queries that the customer may have. These call centers and support centers are also equipped with an outbound calling system in case they need to callback the customer.
Why the horizon of phone communications has changed?
One of the reasons is that people need time to think and don’t want to make an instant decision over the phone. It is very likely that the prospect will disconnect the call as soon as they know that you are a telemarketer. 80% of the newer generation would like the product literature in black and white before they make a decision. Basically, they will ask for emails and the website of your company.
Does this mean that the phone communication is fading away?
The answer is NO. It has evolved over a period of time. For example, over 95% of consumers have started using mobile phones instead of a landline. Over 70% of the businesses have shifted from landlines to hosted virtual phone systems. Hence, there has been an increase in VoIP technology usage and online phone numbers. These phone systems work over the internet with online phone numbers. You don’t need to buy those expensive landline phones anymore. You can get the number of your choice anytime anywhere. You can use it anytime, cancel it anytime or forward it to any US number you want to.
What is a virtual phone system?
Virtual Phone System is a system that you can use on your smartphone or your laptop to make and receive calls without having to worry about carrying any additional instrument. The virtual phone system works on VoIP (Voice over internet protocol) technology.
What are the advantages of having a virtual number?
There are tons of benefits and advantages of having a virtual phone number. Especially for small business owners. Some of them are-
- Interactive Voice Response (IVR)- Small businesses can set up a professional IVR message to route their customers to the right department with just a tap of a button. For example, if you have three departments in your organization say, marketing, sales, and support. You can set up your IVR that will tell the caller to press the numeric to the department they are trying to reach.
- Welcome Message- Have you ever heard this- ‘Thank you for calling XYZ company. Please listen carefully as our menu options have changed’. These kinds of welcome messages give the caller a professional feel and build a brand gut in them.
- Toll-free numbers- These days toll-free numbers don’t really matter in terms of the cost as almost all phone service providers provide unlimited incoming and outgoing, but they do matter because they are easy to remember. Every business should get an 800, 855, 866, 877 or 888 number. You can publish those numbers on your website, literature, magazines, business cards, etc.
- Voicemail- You can set up your own custom voicemail message in case your business is closed. This will allow your customers to leave a message. The virtual phone system will shoot an email and inform you about the call that you have missed or had a voicemail.
- Multiple extensions- You will be able to create multiple extensions for each and everyone in your company and you don’t even have to pay a hefty fee, unlike traditional phone systems. All the users with extensions are capable of receiving and making phone calls using a laptop, android and iOS app.
There are many other advantages of having a virtual phone system.
It is apparently true that phone systems are required and will always be required as it involves human touch. Everyone likes to talk to the right people at the right time for their problems and queries. Getting a virtual phone system will modernize your business to take to another level of growth.