Microsoft releases the Windows Defender program in Windows 8 and continues with Windows 10. Windows 10 also has an in-built real-time antivirus program, and it’s an extraordinary program to handle online threats. It automatically works in the background, safeguarding all Windows users who are endangered against viruses and others.
What is Windows Defender?
Windows Defender acts as a decent antivirus and antimalware program on Microsoft Windows devices. It comes free and pre-built on Windows and secures your device from various unwanted malware, virus, ransomware, spyware, and other security threats. Also, it protects you from hacking attempts and other cybercriminal activities. It works perfectly for all users and needs no maintenance. It can also keep you from accessing the non-secure website.
Nevertheless, if you don’t need the Windows Defender and want to disable it, you can easily turn it off. Though the Defender cannot be disabled permanently, you can temporarily deactivate it. But it is advisable not to turn it off if you don’t have any third-party application installed on your device.
To disable to Windows Defender Antivirus using Windows Security:
If you want to temporarily turn off the Windows Defender, you can try the steps given below:
- Click Start and search for Windows Security to open the app
- Click Virus and Threat protection
- Now in the “Virus and Threat protection settings”, click on Manage Settings
- Disable Windows Defender by turning off the “Real-time protection” option
After you complete the steps given-above steps, you can install any third-party application that you wanted to install. After performing the specific task, you can turn on Windows Defender with the same steps. But all you need is to toggle the switch for real-time protection.
Disable the Windows Defender permanently:
To disable the Windows Defender antivirus permanently, follow the steps given below:
1. Open the Start button
2. Now search for gpedit.msc and open the Local Group Policy Editor.
3. Browse the path given here:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender Antivirus
4. Next, click the Turn-off Windows Defender Antivirus policy
5. Click on Enabled option and set it to disabled
6. Click on Apply Button
7. Click OK and restart your device.
To revert the changes you made, you can re-enable by following the same steps. A little modification may be required.
Disable Windows Defender Antivirus with registry:
For disabling the Windows Defender, follow the steps given underneath:
1.First, open the Start menu
2. Now search for the regedit and click the first result you see in the list and open the Registry Editor.
3. Browse for:
4. Tip: Now, you can copy and paste this address to open the destination.
5. Type and enter DisableAntiSpyware and press Enter
6. Click right on Windows Defender and choose New and then click on DWORD (32-bit) Value.
7. Click twice on the DWORD that is created new and change value from 0 to 1
8. Click OK and restart your device.
After all these steps are performed, you won’t find the Windows Defender will not be available at your system. And, the protection will be turned off.
Hopefully, this blog will help you disable Windows Defender both temporarily and permanently.