Microsoft Outlook is a personal information manager from Microsoft, available as a part of the Microsoft Office Suit. Often used as an email application, it includes a calendar, task manager, contact manager, note taking, journal, and web browsing. It can also be used as a stand-alone application, but is also part of the Microsoft Office suite.
- TYPES OF OUTLOOK FILES:
TYPES OF OUTLOOK FILES:
There are two types of files in Microsoft Outlook.
One is an Outlook OST file. An OST file is an offline folder in Microsoft Outlook that makes it possible for you to work first work online and later synchronize changes with the exchange server later when connected online. This outstanding feature of offline working is useful in environments with limited or unreliable internet connectivity.
Another type of file in Outlook is the PST file, which is simply stored with the client or a server other than the Exchange server. So, the basic difference between an OST and a PST file is that OST files are used to save the data for offline uses of the client. This data is stored in MS Exchange Server. On the other hand, PST file is a personal folder data that is stored on client’s hard disk.
ISSUE – Outlook OST file is in use and cannot be accessed.
HOW TO SOLVE?
If you are facing the above-mentioned issue with an Outlook OST file, follow the given instructions and speed up your work –
FIX 1 – Kill All Outlook Related Processes
- Right click on the text bar and select “task manager” option.
- Now select “processes” tab.
- Look for these options – ‘communicator’, ‘Lync’, ‘outlook’.
- If you find the above options, select any one and click on ‘end task’ option.
FIX 2 – Restart Computer
Rather then spending the entire day to figure out the process that is hogging the file, try doing it in a simple way. Just restart your computer. First click on ‘start’ and then ‘restart’. This easy solution might fix your problem.
FIX 3 – Disable Cached Exchange Mode
- Close Outlook.
- Now, open ‘control panel’
- Click on ‘mail’ option
- Select the ‘email accounts’ option.
- Now, choose the ‘email’ tab.
- Highlight the email address giving you the warning (email.ost), then select “change”
- Uncheck “use cached exchanged mode”
- At last, select ‘next’ and then ‘finish’
You can also covert outlook OST file into an outlook PST file as a successful attempt to recover your OST file. The conversion of file can be done through a manual method of conversion. In order to carry out a successful conversion, follow the instructions as mentioned below-
- Open Outlook and select ‘file’ tab
- Now choose import and export wizard from the pop-up menu
- Select ‘export to a file’ and click on ‘next’ button
- As the next window appears, select ‘outlook data file(.pst)’ and click on “next” button again
- Now move to parent root folder and select ‘include sub folders’ option
- At last, select the target folder and hit ‘finish’ button
Although, the above method will work only if you are connected to Exchange serve. So, you can also download outlook OST converter to covert the files. Data Recover OST to PST converter can be used to convert invalid OST file that is corrupted or orphaned due to any reason. A healthy OST file can also be changed into a PST file by using this software. This software automatically recovers the file data as well.
How to Use Outlook OST Converter?
Download and install the OST to PST converter tool on your windows computer. After installing, you will see a shortcut icon on windows desktop. Launch the application by clicking on that icon and follow the instructions that pops-up on every screen. This will lead you to a successful OST to PST file conversion and will also automatically recover your data.