The world goes digital, and more and more contracting companies face the necessity to build a solid online presence. Pretty often, business owners understand that they should invest money in website promotion and content production, but don’t have a clear idea of how to do it right.
Today, we will talk about designing a content marketing strategy for a contracting company. If you want to boost your digital marketing efforts, keep on reading.
- Analyze online behavior of your target audience
Analyze online behavior of your target audience
To create a remarkable content marketing strategy, you should have a clear understanding of who your audience is and how it behaves online. You should conduct web research and find answers to the following questions:
- What websites do your clients visit the most?
- How much time do they spend online?
- What kind of information do they look for (how-to articles, behind-the-scene videos, price information, etc.)?
- At what time of the day/week does your target audience search for new content more actively (on Monday from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., on Friday from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., etc.)?
- Which social media platforms do your clients prefer to use (LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, etc.)?
- What type of content do they prefer to consume (blog posts, infographics, social media posts, videos)?
Learn the basics of SEO
The main purpose of building a content marketing strategy and growing online presence is to make the contracting company visible on the web. And one of the most powerful tools which serve this purpose is search engine optimization (SEO).
As you probably know, Google, as well as other search engines, works the following way. “Web crawlers” scan different webpages for specific keywords to find out whether they match search results. Crawlers choose pages with the most relevant, quality content, and display them at the top of search results.
In other words, if you want to get your company noticed, you should create your content with SEO in mind. You should choose the keywords that match your clients’ search queries and should improve text readability. Here the most basic SEO tips for you:
- Find relevant keywords using tools like Ubersuggest and Google Keyword Planner.
- Choose long-tail keywords over short-tail keywords. For instance, use the keyword “contracting company hiring near me” instead of “contracting company”.
- Use bullet lists, headings, and subheadings to break your article.
- Keep your sentences short, preferably under 20 words.
- Start a new paragraph every two or three sentences.
- Avoid using passive voice and sophisticated, rarely used words to make the text easy-to-read.
Audit and update your website
Your website is a digital business card. If you want it to work effectively, you should keep the web content relevant and up-to-date.
Audit your website, and check every page. Does it present relevant information? Does it comply with the SEO guidelines? Rewrite existing content, if necessary. Consider adding new pages and new content to your website for adding more value to your target audience.
Do you feel like you need outside help with the content audit or copywriting? Feel free to use custom writing services to boost your content marketing efforts.
Start a blog
Blogging and content marketing always go hand in hand. So if you want to set up a successful content marketing strategy for your contracting company, you should consider starting a blog.
How can blogging help you to grow your business?
- Blogging will help you to get to the top of Google search results and get your company noticed
- It will allow you to strengthen the relationship with your clients
- It will help you to build your thought leadership
How to get the most of blogging?
- Choose blog topics that your target audience finds interesting. Answer the questions that haven’t been properly answered yet.
- Use low-competition, high-traffic keywords.
- Create high-quality content that stands out. If you don’t have an in-house content creator, check writing services and hire a freelance writer.
- Add one or two links to authoritative and trustworthy sources to every blog post.
- Add at least one internal link to every blog post.
- Dispense the links equally across the whole post.
Take advantage of guest blogging
In a nutshell, guest blogging (or guest posting) is the act of writing content for another company’s website. This content marketing tactic is used to attract traffic back to the site and boost the domain authority using external links to high-authority domains.
You can take advantage of guest blogging in two ways:
- You can use it as a tool to get backlinks. Write blog posts for websites in your niche – and you will get backlinks and improve your website ranking.
- You can use it to source free content. Start accepting guest posts –and freelance writers will create content for your blog.
Do you target Millennials and Generation Z? You should create accounts on Facebook and Instagram (or whatever social media platform your target audience uses the most) and regularly publish updates.
Why it’s so important? Before reaching to contracting company, modern clients tend to check both: the company’s website and social media accounts. If a contractor isn’t present on Facebook and other social media platform, it looks suspicious.
To build trust with the target audience, you should create social media content. Here are a few content ideas you can use:
- Publish industry and company news
- Share stories of your happy clients to boost engagement
- Reflect on current events to build thought leadership
- Introduce your key employees to your followers to win the trust
- Share behind-the-scene photos and videos to show your team “in action.”
In 2020, a well-written content marketing strategy is a must for contracting companies. So if you don’t have a strategy, it’s time to write one.
Focus on your target audience and its preferences. Try to create content that resonates with your clients, and you will achieve the desired results.
Just remember that you are a contractor, not a content strategist. It’s okay to make mistakes. If you want everything to go smoothly, don’t hesitate to get professional assistance. And be sure that all your investments in content strategy will pay off.