Google releases updates at regular intervals in order to secure Android phones from various kinds of viruses and other attacks. The updates are also done to install new apps and upgrade the existing ones. There are situations when users get warning of updating the system. Even if they do month get a warning, they should check whether an update has been released or not. In this article, we will discuss the steps of checking updates and updating the Android OS.
Checking System Updates
Here are the steps, which users can use to find updates for Android.
- Click the Settings icon, which is available in the notification panel. The icon can also be found in the app section.
- Scroll down and click About Device.
- Tap Software Updates or System Updates. Some mobiles do not have About Device button. In such cases, they can go to System and then Advanced.
- Tap System Update where the users will find Software Update or Download Updates.
- If there is a message that no updates are available, users can come out of settings.
- If updates are available, users can click Check for Updates and click OK to confirm it.
- Click Download to download the updates. The mobile must be connected to the internet to download the updates.
- After the download is completed, Click Install Now.
- The device will restart and updates will be installed. The process may take a few minutes to 30 minutes depending upon the size of the update.
Checking for App Updates
Besides system updates, app updates are also available and users can take the following steps to update the apps.
- Open Google Play Store where users can find a list of all apps.
- Click the three-line button available in the top-left corner.
- Tap My Apps & Games available at the top.
- Click Update All to update the apps for which updates are available.
- If only desired apps are to be updated, skip the previous step.
- Tap the app in the update list and apps for which updates are available will appear.
- Review What’s a new section of each app before updating it.
- Tap Update and the desired app will be updated.
Updates using Smart Switch
This option is available with only Samsung devices and Samsung users can take the following steps to check for Android updates.
- Download and install Smart Switch Computer Program on the Samsung device. If the Samsung device has a Samsung Kies app it will be replaced by this app.
- Open the web browser and navigate to the SmartSwitch website.
- Click Get it on Windows or Download on the Mac App Store.
- The installer will be downloaded and users should run to install the app.
- Follow the instructions on the wizard to download the app.
- Connect the device to the computer.
- The update button will be available on Smart Switch screen and users have to click it to update the device.
- Click Ok to start the update. The device will start updating and in this process, no other button should be clicked.
- After the mobile is updated, disconnect it from the computer.
These are some of the ways in which users can update the operating system as well as the apps present on their Android device. The process does not take much time. The duration of downloading and installing the apps depends upon the speed of the internet connection. Users must also note that the battery of the mobile should be charged up to 50% as the update will not start and will prompt to charge the mobile.